Last Class Day :(

 Entry 0003

Blog written: March 03 2023
Blog published: 
March 06 2023

Last Class Day :(

Every student's academic career concludes with a memorable and meaningful day of class. Today, it was the last class day for CS Research Methods. The facilitator said they would not meet with us anymore, instead, we should use this time to prepare our proposals that could be used for our research study in our 4th year. 


Classes on the subject are more like lectures—well, not really lectures, but more on guidance and reflection, allowing you to develop insights on your own. It offers you an understanding of what a given term means (on research) and defines it, and it guides you through the mechanics of creating a research paper. You are provided defined guidelines on how to write a specific section of the paper, as well as what contents should be observed and the conditions if it answers the questions it should. It does not spoonfeed you the skills you need to learn, instead, you are being introduced to the concept and it is up to you to strategize how you should learn and/or develop the writing skills you will definitely need. 


To be honest, preparing my research title proposal really scares me, and I have to admit that I have been putting it off all this time. In my mind, this is a very taxing task, as you would have to go through a lot (maybe even more than a lot) of readings from published articles related to the field of study you have chosen. This might be overwhelming for someone who has no idea where to start, what to do, or generate realistic and attainable ideas. But I thought of a strategy, and instead of doing it all in one time, I am going to break it down into little chunks. I get something done by the end of the day (no matter how small) and that adds to the overall progress I should achieve. It should motivate me as small successes matter, and drive me to do even better. 


For now, I am going to start with choosing a domain for my study, as there are a lot of industries computer science can be applied. Literally, you have a lot to choose from. Computer science is known for its versatility, and its theories and methodologies can be applied anywhere as every industry needs technology. I am thinking of following the university's suggested areas for research, such as computer technology applied in agriculture and/or mobile/software development. It is critically important to select a domain because there may be several to choose from. Selecting a domain narrows your searches, identifies a target and helps you to identify studies in a specific field. With that in mind, I shall start my gruesome expedition for a mind filled with knowledge and a world of a better tomorrow.


Ultimately, the last day of class is a time for reflection, celebration, and learning. It signifies the conclusion of one chapter and the beginning of another, as students move forward with newfound skills, knowledge, and insights. While it may be the last day of class, it is not the end of the journey, as learning (and research!) is a lifelong effort that extends beyond the classroom.


Now, I am going to start my own individual journey of CS Research Methods as I walk through tides of published and peer-reviewed articles and journals, looking and searching for my own story to tell.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The HOWs of a Research Proposal

Introductory to CS Research Methods

Writing a Thesis Proposal and Presenting It